Thursday, September 30, 2010

Things Not Seen- Book Review

   "It's after the shower, That's when it happens.
It's when I turn on the bathroom light and wipe the fog off the mirror to comb my hair. It's what I see. It's what I don't see.
I look a second time, and then rub at the mirror again.
I'm not there.
That's what I'm saying.
I'm. Not. There."
  
   This is how the story of invisible Bobby Philips begins, plunging you into a world of awe and comical suspense, right from the first page. After a morning shower, just before school, Bobby wipes the mirror to comb his hair only to find that he can't see himself, and after a few tricks to test if it's a dream fail, he goes to his parents, who agree that his little "condition" should be kept secret.
  
   "And now there's a new look on her face. New for Alicia. But I've seen It before. On Mom's and Dad's faces that first morning. It's the look of someone who's trying to process impossible information. Because when something impossible happens, everything else becomes unglued.
She's having trouble brathing. Then the first words. 'So... you're, you're really---' 'Yeah.' I say. 'Invisible'"

    After meeting a blind girl named Alicia, Bobby reveals his secret to her. But after awhile, his school gets suspiciouse, and when the police become enatngled in the problem, Bobby, Alicia, his parents, and her parents get thrown into a race againts time, the law, and a phenomenom that not even imagination seems to be able to explaine.

    I rate this book a 5 out of 5, beacuse on the very first page, the action and suspense pull you in. The book is told through Bobby's invisible point of view, every moment filled with amazing detail, every page pushing you further off the edge of your seat. Anyone who enjoys comedy, suspense, and a bit of science fiction will be drawn into this book, page by page, word by word.

No comments:

Post a Comment